Mexico, Puebla South Mission March 2015 - March 2017

Elder Ethan Del Toro
Mexico, Puebla South Mission
31 poniente #109 Interior 201
Col. Chula Vista, Puebla, Puebla
Mexico C.P. 72420

Sunday, March 29, 2015

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

March 18, 2015

Hello Fam!

Things are kind of slowing down here at the CCM and we´re getting on more of a set schedule. The CCM is desolate! This is the super slow time of the year when they don't have has many missionaries because most of the missionaries come in at the summer. The old zone leaders left last week so now it is only our district in our zone until the next group of American elders come in next Wednesday.

This week all the elders in our district fasted together. We fasted that we could have a better understanding of spanish and that we will be able to learn it better. And I have definitely noticed a difference! All of my prayers are in spanish, whenever I bear my testimony its in spanish and this last week I gave a 5 minute talk in sacrament meeting in spanish! And the best part is, Elder Larkin said I talk in spanish in my sleep! He said that in my sleep I was rambling on in spanish about how we needed to pray before our lessons we teach hahaha.

We finished teaching our first investigator Isaac this week. After we finished teaching him the last time, it turned out he knew english the whole time, he had served a mission less than a year ago and he is one of our new teachers! He brought in a cake and we celebrated on committing our first investigator to baptism. Now we have two new investigators we are teaching and they are both teachers here at the CCM. Their names are Guillermo and Merali. And our teachers are not taking it as easy on us as they were before. They ask way more questions and have so many other things going on in their lives. The other day when me and Elder Larkin taught Merali, we taught about the restoration without looking at any spanish books or pre written spanish phrases. We just talked to her in spanish and taught no problem! We were so impressed with ourselves and the spirit was so strong in the room while teaching her. Afterwards, she came up to us and told us how good of a job we did and how much of a difference shes seen in our spanish!

Every Tuesday we do a service project here on campus and me and the guys in my district went and helped fold clean sheets. We were talking to some of the workers there in spanish and they were super cool! All of them had served missions and they told us all a little bit about the missions we are going to. One of the guys said most likely in Puebla I´ll be having Tacos de chapulines! Yuck! Its a taco with marinated grasshoppers! I told them I like menudo (which is cow stomach lining in soup) and they said tacos de chapulines will be a walk in the park for me compared to menudo.

Last night we had a devotional from a area seventy. He didn't speak good english so they had a translator so we could understand what he was saying and get the most out of it that we could. He talked about a lot of stuff but the thing I liked most was that he talked about how scriptures were written on this side of the veil, but directed on the other side of the veil. I thought that was so true. Even just being here in the CCM my testimony has grown in scripture study. Any problems or questions we have, can be answered through scripture study. Any sort of doubt or lack of faith we have, can be solved through the scriptures. The Book of Mormon and the Bible are truly written for us in these latter days for guidance and direction.  At the end of the devotional this Hermana sang "I know that my redeemer lives" in spanish and it was absolutely beautiful. She did not look like she would be a good singer but I don't think there was a dry eye in the building. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer, I know this church is true, I love this gospel and I know that God lives. Also I love being a missionary :)

I love you all,

Elder Del Toro

1) view of the city from the top of the Thomas S. Monson building.
2) the bikes all of the cleaning guys get around on
3) me, Elder Tams, and Elder Larkin








No comments:

Post a Comment